Monday 8 August 2011

Cov CC 25, looking to the weekend

Weather conditions will hopefully hold out for this Saturday for the Coventry Cycling Club's Open 25, based on the Princethorpe circuit. Last year's conditions were horrendous, according to the marshals three thunderstorms passed over while we were racing!
Photo: Micksdad.co.uk

It's a fairly local circuit to me, but despite being classed as a "hilly", it's a fairly quick one. Princethorpe hill is fairly tough, you can carry plenty of speed into it. My current PB stands on this course at 52-03, which is also the course record I set last year. I've been close to this time recently, but still a year on I can't figure out how I went that quick in the conditions! 

I almost considered quitting a few miles in, it was that bad, you couldn't see 100m up the road, not even a car's tail-lights. Standing water was also an issue, it must have been an inch deep down the A45, yet the first lap I clocked 19-57 for ten miles!

So on to this year, I'm hoping it's not actually as hot as the Rugby 10 last week... but rain please stay away!

Seeding is rather interesting and possibly beneficial to me, I'd have thought as last year's winner and course record holder I'd be seeded last, but I'm mid-field at 3rd seed. I think my PB may be for the taking, we'll see what happens on the day!

No comments: